Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Refrigerator Chowder - YUM!

Tonight's dinner was a use-what's-in-the-fridge chowder, a repeat of last week's well-liked chowder with salmon instead of clams. It's so good, in fact, that I'm going to pass along the recipe. It has worked both with canned clams and canned salmon, and I'll be trying it again with canned crab as I work my way through the canned pantry goods, and I anticipate it being equally delicious. This is not a creamy chowder, but is thickened by pureeing some of the soup before serving, making it not only low fat and hearty but CORE as well. If you want it to be creamier, you can reduce the stock to 3 1/2 c. and add 1/2 c. milk or cream or half and half when you add the uncooked corn. It is adapted from a chowder recipe in Lorna Sass's cookbook, "Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure."

Salmon Chowder with corn, celery, leeks, and potatoes
Serves 8

2 t. canola oil
2 c. leeks, cut into 1/4 inch half moons, or 2 c. onions, diced
4 large celery ribs, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 c. vegetable or fish stock
1 lb. thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
4 c. fresh or frozen (defrosted) corn kernals, divided (fresh is best, and you can cook the shucked cobs with the soup for added sweetness and flavor)
14 oz. can of wild-caught salmon, or 2 small cans of clams in their juice, or whatever seafood you have on hand, or no seafood at all for a vegetarian chowder
1 T dried dill
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t. dried thyme

In the pressure cooker over medium-high heat, saute the leek/onion, celery, carrot, and red bell pepper in the canola oil until softened, stirring frequently. Add the stock, potatoes, 1 cup of corn, corn cobs (if using), thyme, and seafood (if using). Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure. Cook for 4 minutes on high pressure. Use quick release to reduce pressure and remove the lid away from you.

Remove the corn cobs. With a slotted spoon, transfer about 2 cups of the cooked veggies to a food processor and puree them together with 2 cups of the uncooked corn kernals. Do not overprocess. Stir the puree back into the soup with the remaining cup of uncooked corn. Add dill, salt, and pepper, and simmer until the just-added corn is tender, 2 to 3 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe -- I will have to give that a try next week. I definitely have some canned salmon and I am on a bit of a pantry raid myself (I just started WW on Friday and was trying to decide between core and flex plan when I realized I had better use some things up before trying the core plan. (I had a party last week and am still working through the left overs) Do you have any good tricks for seasoning heaps of veggies to make them yummier? I will easily put away a couple of cups of steamed boccoli or carrots or green beans but I like a little something with them (I have been using up spinach dip -- 1 pt for 2 T or grated cheese but I can't be bothered to eat non-fat cheese-- I want real food)

JJ (Lady Di) said...

If you want to keep with the pantry theme, we usually add evaporated canned milk to make our creamy- and if you use the fat-free it should be core (I've also used dry powdered milk too).

Either way, it sounds yummy!

Momaste said...

Try putting a little fresh dill on broccoli. Yummy! I can't stomach fake, er, fat-free cheese, either. I'd rather count the points for the real stuff and not use much. Parmesan is good on veggies, too. Lemon is a regular brighten-the-flavor addition for fresh steamed veggies.

Lady Di, evaporated milk was used up last week. :) Good suggestion for powdered milk.