Monday, March 24, 2008

Daily Menu for March 24

We won't be having a Meatless Monday today as I defrosted a ham steak for Easter and we didn't end up eating it, so it needs to be eaten today lest it go to waste. We'll have a Meatless Tuesday instead. This week's veggie box was full of spring goodness, including fresh oregano, baby potatoes, beets, carrots, lettuce, leeks, and a variety of greens. I'm making the same potato-beet salad that I did last week since the main ingredients were all in the box this week and it was just so tasty.

We'll be planting a garden this week, and four small (dwarf) fruit trees are in pots on the porch awaiting transfer in our front yard. We have meyer lemon, Persian lime, espaliered Fuji apple, and Dorsett apple (not dwarf), and I think we're going to pick up a dwarf mandarin orange to round out the bunch. It will probably be a few years before they bear fruit, but I'm very excited to be planting them! In our tiny garden, I'm just planting a few veggies this time around. I'll be having the new baby in August and don't want to get in over my head with gardening while I'm hugely pregnant or sleepless with a new baby.

Breakfast
Applesauce oatmeal (this is easily my favorite breakfast - it keeps me full all morning and is so healthy)
2 c. milk

Lunch
Hard cooked eggs and smoked trout with
Green salad, olive oil vinaigrette
1 c. milk

Snack

Dinner
Grilled ham steak
Potato-beet salad (all veggies from my Full Belly veggie box)
Steamed carrots
Watermelon

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines

1. Fruits and veggies, 5-9 servings a day - yes
2. Whole grains - yes (oatmeal, )
3. Milk, 3 servings a day - yes
4. Healthy oil, 3 teaspoons a day - yes
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+ cups
8. (Prenatal) Multivitamin - yes

No comments: