Saturday, March 15, 2008

Strange pregnant lady cravings

I read an article recently that talked about how a fetus develops a taste for the foods the mother is eating regularly while pregnant - it swallows amniotic fluid, and that fluid takes on the dominant tastes of the diet like salty, sweet, bitter, garlicky, etc. If this is the case, our baby will come with a pre-destined love of all things sour and pickled. I have had a surprisingly strong craving for pickles lately and, in a single serving the other night, ate an entire jar of Italian Gardiniera, a slightly spicy pickled cauliflower, red bell pepper, carrot, celery, and onion mix. With a bowl of saurkraut on the side. Followed by a bowl of ice cream. Mr.M had to leave the room - the combination was just too disgusting for him to watch. I always thought the pickles-and-ice cream thing was a pregnant lady joke; I never had this craving while pregnant with Jax! But here I am, almost 5 months pregnant, and the stereotypical pregnant lady craving has hit. In fact, typing it out, I'm tempted to go buy more of the Gardiniera so I can have a repeat meal. Do pickled vegetables count toward the daily vegetable servings?

I'm also in search of a good pickled egg recipe if anyone has one.

Tonight, I'm delivering dinner to a woman from church with an injury, and I doubt she'd appreciate my wierd food combinations! so I'm making a perfectly normal meal - chicken cacciatore, roasted new potatoes, and broccoli.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

What a great thing to see another using Core and local eating to lose weight. I am just starting my process and was searching for inspiration and found your blog and was so impressed I started my own over at AppleCoreLocalvore
keep up the good work and thanks.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

when I was pregnant with one child I craved granny smith apples and with the other I craved ruby red grapefruit. so guess what fruit each one of them loves? it must be true about that amniotic fluid.
I love your blog and just joined a CSA. I usually buy everything at Whole Foods. I am also a ww core member. I am lifetime but fell off the wagon when my mom got sick and have had trouble getting back on. hopefully i can get my motivation back.
regina