Sunday, December 9, 2007

Baked Oatmeal recipe

I made a pan of baked oatmeal yesterday and what a great treat it was to wake up to this morning! I've been in an oatmeal mood lately and this was a nice twist on my standard bowl.

Baked Oatmeal
Serves 12

4 c. oatmeal (rolled oats, steel cut, or the hot cereal mix from my grain CSA)
1 c. fat free yogurt
1 c. water
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 c. apple, peeled and shredded
1 c. frozen berries, thawed
2 t. vanilla
1 t. each cinnamon and ginger
1 c. milk
4 eggs
1/4 c. canola oil (or other healthy oil)
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. flax meal (optional)
sweetener (optional, to taste - I didn't use any and it was very subtly sweet from the applesauce. Next time I'll add a little honey.)

Soak the oats in the yogurt and water for at least half an hour. They can soak overnight. Combine all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir in the oats and their soaking liquid. Pour mixture into a 9"x13" baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray (I use a Misto sprayer with canola oil in it). Bake at 350 degrees F for an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

It comes out with the texture of a medium-dense cake, but is Core (except the flax, which does not even add 1 point per serving.) It's tasty, filling, and very healthy, with a full serving of whole grains and healthy oil per serving.

5 comments:

Federico said...

loving your recipes, keep it up!Ü

morahamy said...

YUM. I halved the recipe, replaced the apple with mashed banana, which added to the sweetness, and added 2 Tb of honey (spread out over 12 muffins, which is how I baked themj.)

Anonymous said...

I MADE THIS TONIGHT; IT SMELLS AND LOOKS AWESOME; I HAVE WEIGH-IN TOMORROW A.M. - SO I RESTRAINED MYSELF AND DIDN'T HAVE SOME; BUT I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL AFTER WEIGH IN TO SAMPLE THIS. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR A GREAT RECIPE.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous; I have a terrible habit of 'eating on the run' particularly at breakfast - so this certainly fills the bill - I froze it in individual portions - just grab, defrost and get out the door with my travel mug of coffee. Thanks very much.

Flo said...

I baked a batch this morning! Awesome recipe. I actually baked them in my stoneware muffin pans. They've cooled off and are in the freezer now. YUMMMMMMM