Saturday, September 29, 2007

Farmer's Market Finds



I was excited to be back at the farmer's market this morning after three weeks away for classes. I spent $20 today for peanuts from C. Farm in Sanger, fresh cranberry beans from Full Belly Farm (aren't those gorgeous?), Brussels sprouts on a stalk from Green Oaks Creek Farm, Red Flame Grapes, and corn on the cob. We're going to eat well this week!
I'll probably spend an extra $15 on milk and eggs, but this will be a low-spend grocery week overall. My budget for September is up to $347.24, well under my budget of $520 (based on the USDA Thrifty Food Plan in August.) I've been including my mother in law in my monthly budget, but she is not eating here as frequently as expected and I'm bringing my budget back down to include just me, Mr.M, and 2 year old Jax, $421.85 per month. I expect October to be well under this amount.
Today's CSA box includes:
Basil
Eggplant
Red Russian Kale
Onions
Gypsy or Flamingo Peppers
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Surprise Melon
***
Daily Menu
Breakfast at the Farmer's Market
20 oz. Watermelon juice (6 Points - OUCH!)
Corn tortilla (1 Point)
2 T. queso fresco (3 Points)
beans, cabbage, salsa
Lunch
2 c. milk
orange
Dinner
Quinoa picadillo in acorn squash boats
Corn on the cob, 1 t. olive oil
WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 10
WPA points available: 29
Activity points today: 4 (Walk Away the Pounds 3 miles video)
Activity points this week: 4
Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5+
2. Whole grains - quinoa
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - 2
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh that Quinoa picadillo in acorn squash boats sounds interesting -- is there a recipe you can direct me to? Thanks

Momaste said...

I used two recipes from Lorna Sass, one for Cuban Beef Picadillo from her cookbook "Cooking Under Pressure" and one for quinoa picadillo from "Whole Grains, Every Day, Every Way", and combined them. I like stuffed squash and thought it would be a tasty combination, but that wasn't part of the recipe. I think you could add quinoa to any picadillo recipe and stuff it in squash for a similar flavor combination.

Anonymous said...

hmm, I only have "the ecological kitchen" and the "veggie cooking under pressure" I am heding out to the library -- I will check to see if they have her titles on the shelf. Thanks