Sunday, September 16, 2007

For the Freezer: In Progress!

I'm taking a break from cooking and cooking to tell you how it's going! So far, I have completed and packaged the sweet and sour lentils, un-stuffed cabbage, chicken cacciatore, and beef picadillo with quinoa. Meatball chili with pumpkin is in the crock pot right now. This evening, I'll finish the mushroom-barley soup, and will prep the stuff to go in the pot roast and chickpeas, which I'll cook in the morning. The shephard's pie will be the pot roast and gravy with extra veggies and a mashed potato topping, and I can make the mashed potatoes while the pot roast is finishing up in the crockpot tomorrow evening.

Right now, there are 8 meals packaged in the fridge. When I finish, there will be between 16-20 meals ready for me to defrost and enjoy when I don't feel like cooking. There will be no excuses for eating junk!

We went to Costco, Country Sun, and the California Street (Palo Alto) farmer's market this morning to get everything I need to cook more than a dozen dinners. I spent just under $80 and got eggs, milk, bread, spices, a jar of smoked ketchup made in Calistoga, and lots and lots of yummy local, organic veggies. I also spent about $40 last week for milk, eggs, salad fixings, and crackers. My total for the month is up to $272.24.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing great! I want you to come to my house and cook - it all sounds really yummy! Are you getting all of the rcipes from Weight Watchers? I've joined online, but I really think I need to start thinking about attending meetings, instead. I'm rooting for you!

Momaste said...

Kim, I don't use Weight Watcher specific recipes. Most of the recipes I used were out of Lorna Sass pressure cooker cookbooks - I have three of them - and they are CORE or easy to convert to CORE.

The meetings are great accountability and recharge for me. I don't think I'd be as successful on my own. It's great to be able to ask questions at the meeting, and I'm inspired by the other people on the same journey. Plus, I like the Bravo stars and rewards. :)