Wednesday, October 31, 2007

20 Pounds of Tomatoes

My mother in law (MIL) gave us a box of tomatoes that she bought at the end of the farmer's market for a song. 20 pounds is a LOT of tomatoes!! I've got three stacks of tomato slices in the food dehydrator, and made a huge pot of tomato sauce that simmered all day with tons of veggies - onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and zucchini. I made polenta lasagna for dinner, packaged 8 individual pasta meals for MIL, served some to Jax for lunch (he dunked his grilled cheese into it), and put 4 quarts into freezer bags in the freezer. I still have about 5 pounds of tomatoes left, and I'm out of creative juices. I don't want to can them and Mr.M won't eat raw tomatoes. Do you know any tasty tomato recipes that will freeze well?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about cooking some down to make a pizza sauce? You can freeze it in bags just like the pasta sauce. I freeze chopped tomatoes in bags as well. When you use them you have to cook them down to reduce the liquid if you use them in anything other than a soup or chili but they still work great and it is easier than canning.