Monday, October 15, 2007

Daily Menu for October 15

I've been off track for the past few weeks, and as a result I've gained 2.8 lb. I need to nip this in the bud and get right back on track, because I'm not willing to let myself regain the weight I've worked so hard to lose. There is a sign in one of my classrooms that reads:

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want in the moment.

It has resonated with me and I'm thinking about it again in relation to my weight loss efforts. Why do I let what I want in the moment defeat my long term goals? It's too easy to think, just this once... Just this once I'll have a cookie (or 5). Just this once I'll get French fries from the drive through on the way home. Just this once I'll skip exercising. The trouble is, just this once leads to more and more, and before I know it, I'm completely off track with French fries wrappers piling up in the car, feeling sick to my stomach and guilty to boot. Not worth it.

So I'm back to posting my weekly menu and daily menu, which has been a great tool for me to date. I've used my Weekly Points Allowance already on a pointy dinner out last night (not the best move!), so this will be a strict Core week. The only extra points will be activity points. This is also a busy week with school, babysitting, and other obligations, so I'll have to be really on my game to pack lunches and stay on track.

Weekly Menu:
Monday - Snapper Veracruz, brown rice, green salad
Tuesday - Chili, polenta corn cakes with fresh corn, carrots
Wednesday - Curried eggs, brown rice, kale
Thursday - Chicken cacciatore, barley, acorn squash
Friday - Lentil taco salad, green beans
Saturday - Home made egg drop soup and pot stickers (Points)

Daily Menu

Breakfast
2 eggs from Glaum
peach

Lunch
Snapper Veracruz with locally caught snapper
Brown rice from Lundberg
Green salad with lettuce and tomatoes from Full Belly Farm and olive oil and balsamic vinegar from Hare Hollow

Dinner
Leftover quinoa picadillo
2 c. milk
grapes

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 0
WPA points available: 0
Activity points today: 2 (Walk Away the Pounds)
Activity points this week: 2

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5+
2. Whole grains - brown rice, quinoa
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - 2
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

3 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Hi,
I just stumbled upon your blog. I have to say, what you said today about "just once" really resonated with me. I know for a fact that because I constantly say "this once won't hurt" I have not been able to lose more than 15 pounds in 2 years. Thanks for saying it out loud for me!

Anonymous said...

Ditto...thanks for making the struggle public. Sometimes I start to think you're evidence that there's a way to succeed without the struggle, and I'm just not doing it right or I wouldn't wake up to this every day.

Incremental change is just so hard...way too many moments when the world asks if I'd like a cinnamon roll. Could I just have a day off? A single day when the world would just stop with the constant opportunities to fail myself?

We're not going back. But that doesn't make going forward any easier. Is this my life from now on?

Momaste said...

Boy, it's hard! I'm doing it the "right" way, but that doesn't mean it's easy!! This is the life I'll lead for the rest of my life. I'm not expecting to ever get to a point where I'm not tempted by cinnamon rolls, but I hope that a point comes where I struggle less with the pull to eat it!