Thursday, October 18, 2007

Busy wreaks havoc on the best laid plans

This has been a very busy week, and I have not kept up with my plan. I know that without following it, I will not be successful. I know that by eating out instead of cooking, I'm wasting money, wasting Points, and wasting good vegetables that sit uneaten in the fridge. But still, after being busy all day, it's HARD to get up the energy to prepare a healthy meal. Sadly, I'm finding it difficult to even reheat my frozen meals and add a fresh veggie on the side. I'm slipping and I am not sure how to pull myself out of it. It's like the diet-honeymoon mentality has ended and my motivation slacks, but I'm only 20% to my goal and can't give up now!

I'm embarassed to even post my menus these days, since they're not menus, just the junk I've picked up in the school cafeteria, or fish sticks with the kids I baby sit. Not Locavore, not Core, not healthy, and not what I want. I don't feel as healthy, I'm sluggish, and I'm grumpy.

What do I do? What is the best way of sticking to plan when you're busy and tired?

The first thing I need to do is eat breakfast at home. I am so much better at staying on plan when I've eaten healthy food to start the day.

And I have to exercise! I feel so much better when I exercise, and I lose so much more consistently. I'm going to do my exercise video first thing in the morning.

I'm done eating for the evening, but start over tomorrow morning. I know I can do this - I've done it for months - I just have to DO it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get frustrated! You've been doing great! So you haven't done local or healthy for that past few days. So what. You've come so far, and you're such an inspiration. Don't get fed up. No excuses. Work the plan like you've done in the past. You've been successful in far more chaotic situations than right now.

JJ (Lady Di) said...

I know the feeling and I'm still trying to deal with it myself. One thing that has helped me was a phrase someone said once to me: "And exactly how does giving up help you?" I actually printed that out and put it on my cabinets in my kitchen. It at least makes me think. So I may have hit a big pothole, but I haven't disappeared into it. :)

Anonymous said...

I have hit a bump too. I have been going through a very stressful situation and it just made me say forget weight watchers give me some cake! Thankfullt I have not gained anything but I am not losing.

My best advice for you...focus on getting back on track one meal at a time. Start by making sure your breakfast each day is a local core meal. stick with that for a week and then add on the task of making sure you have a nice core lunch, if it is at school it probably won't be all local but at least try for core! Then when you have those two meals worked out focus on dinner. i know easier said than done but give it a go, I have found this to be a very good way to get out of a slump in the past. for me breakfast and lunch are very easy meals but dinner is when I am tired, hungry and stressed and am less likely to focus so it is easier to work on the rest of the day first.

Best wishes for a better week!

Anonymous said...

Each slip up is just a hurdle but the next meal or snack is a chance to start over and make different choices. One meal or even three days of meals does not make or break the plan. jump in where you are. You didn't gain the weight in a day and you can't lose it that way either so there is no reason to let it get to you. You can do it. I am back on track after a few weeks of not paying attention and have to take it one food choice at a time. Are there things you can pack to eat during the day while you are away from home? Good luck and don't let the business get to you.

Jenn Lawlor said...

Hi there!

This is my first visit to your blog - linked from MDC forums. My thoughts from reading your posts is that you are coming from a place of punishing yourself. If you turn things around and are gentle on yourself, really know that you can do this and allow yourself to have days when you don't eat "right", I think you will have much more success (and fun!).

What you are doing is awesome. Love yourself for it and see yourself where you want to be and you will get there :)

Momaste said...

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.