Saturday, July 28, 2007

Edible Landscapes, new vegetables, and Daily Menu for July 28


This week's farmer's market haul.


Baby corn


I must reiterate my love of the farmer's market. This is the best time of year for fresh, local produce, and I splurged on a delightful variety of fruits and veggies, pork, and fish this week. Pietro had Pacific Snapper, and TLC farms was there a variety of pork products, including sausages and bacon. I bought a small ham. My CSA box from Full Belly included:

Basil
Blue Lake Green Beans (going into the freezer)
Peaches
Squash
Garlic
Gypsy peppers (yellow, but sweet)
Ambrosia melon
Heirloom Tomatoes
Bi-color corn.

The last asparagus of the season also made its way home with me, in addition to parsley, cilantro and green onion, and fresh baby corn from Heirloom Organics! I've never seen baby corn outside of a can in the Asian foods section and was delighted to learn that nearly the entire thing is edible - husk, strings and all - and it is sweet and crunchy. I love finding new vegetables to try! I plan on stir-frying some of them later in the week with tofu and green beans. Another stand had purple string beans, but having a new bag of green beans in my CSA box and another from last week still unused, I left those to try another time.

Bonnie at the Stanford radio station interviewed me at the market this morning, and I'll post when I hear about the interview airing. She was interviewing growers and buyers at the farmer's market, overheard me asking about the baby corn and talking about the joy of local eating, and asked if I wouldn't mind being interviewed. Of course, I'm always excited to share my local food love!

I spoke with Gilbert and Ginger Gibson from Gibson Farms in Hollister about the difference between sulfured and unsulfered dried fruits. They have apricots treated both ways, in addition to walnuts and almonds. (Dried fruits and nuts are not CORE.) The unsulfured apricots are darker, a tiny bit bitter (not at all unpleasant), and have a chewier texture, whereas the sulfured apricots had the vibrant color I am familiar with in dried fruit and a juicier texture. Both tasted excellent and had a great mouthfeel, and I bought a small package of diced sulfured apricots to add to my oatmeal, counting the POINTS of course.

This afternoon, we're taking the Edible Landscaping tour of Palo Alto, hosted by Common Ground. I'll report back about what we discover.

***

I weighed in this morning with an expected gain. I ate out last night, and earlier in the week as well, not paying as close attention as was needed to my satisfaction point. I'll be watching that more closely this week.

Also, I've injured my foot and my doctor has recommended that I not walk more than necessary for the next week, and as walking is my primary exercise, I'll be earning few if any activity points this coming week. (Of course, I am spending the day walking at the Edible Landscapes tour, and while the pace is leisurely, the Points still add up!)

***

Daily Menu

Breakfast
yogurt and peach
3 plums

Lunch
Green salad with carrot, tomato, 2 t. olive oil and vinegar
Salmon
Black beans
Broccoli with 1 T. Parmesan cheese (.5 Points)

Dinner
Lentil tamale pie
milk
apple

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: .5
WPA points available: 35
Activity points today: 3
Activity points this week: 3

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5+
2. Whole grains - polenta in tamale pie
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes (lentils, black beans, fish)
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

No comments: