Sunday, July 15, 2007

Losing Inches

I've got the type of body that doesn't really show losses until they're pretty big numbers off the scale, and even having lost 18 lb., I can't really see it on my body. I have more than 125 left to lose. My clothes don't fit considerably differently, and I'm motivated despite knowing that it won't be any kind of instant results.

I took measurements last month just to give me another way of tracking that I am, in fact, on track. I'm down 23.5 inches over my body, including 3 inches off of each thigh, 3.5 inches off my hips, 2 inches off my chest and 4 inches off my waist! Wow!

One of these days I'll probably look in the mirror and think, wow, I do look slimmer, but in the meantime the numbers help!!

***

The grilled eggplant stacks from July's Cooking Light magazing were AMAZING last night! The balsamic-red wine reduction made a super flavorful, decadent-tasting sauce in under 10 minutes. I used Hare Hollow balsamic and red wine from one of Mr.M's client's vineyard, no label so I don't know what it was. I'll definitely make it again.

Grilled Eggplant Stack

1 (1 pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
3/4 t salt, divided
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1/2 c dry red wine
1 T brown sugar
1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces)
1 small yellow squash (about 4 ounces)
1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
1 t olive oil
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 c (2 ounces) goat cheese
1 T chopped fresh basil
1 t chopped fresh oregano

1. Place eggplant slices in a colander. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 t salt; toss well. Let stand 10 minutes. Rinces slices thrououghly; dry with towels.
2. Combine vinegar, wine, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1/4 c (about 8 minutes).
3. Prepare grill.
4. Trim ends from the zucchini and yellow squash; slice each lengthwise into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Flatten pepper pieces with hand. Brush eggplant, zucchini, squash and pepper pieces with oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 t salt and black pepper. Place pepper pieces skin side down, eggplant, zucchini and quash on a grill rack; grill 8 minues or until tender, turning once.
5. Combine cheese, basil, and oregano.
6. To assemble each stack, place one eggplant slice on a plate; top with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Lay one strip of yellow squash and one of zucchini zide by side. Drizzle with 1 1/2 t balsamic mixture. Top with pepper slice and another eggplant slice and drizzle with another 1 1/2 t balsamic mixture. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4, one stack each, 2 Points each
Calories 117; Fat 4.6g (sat 2.3g, mono 1.5g, poly .4g); Protein 5.4g; Carb 15.5g; Fiber 5.3g; Chol 7mg; Iron 1.2g; Sodium 211mg; Calc 49mg

***



*

I haven't been very hungry today, so it ended up being a lighter menu than planned.

Daily Menu

Breakfast:
2 eggs
cantaloupe
milk

Lunch:

Whole wheat pita, goat cheese (5 PTS)
cucumbers and bell peppers
1 t. olive oil

Dinner:

Garden burger
More cucumbers (yummy cucumbers from my CSA box!)
milk

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 5
WPA points available: 31
Activity points today: 4
Activity points this week: 8

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5+
2. Whole grains - whole wheat pita
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

No comments: