Thursday, July 12, 2007

Lentils and beans and whole wheat, oh my



I love lentils. They're quick-cooking, high in protein, fiber, and iron, listed by Health Magazine as one of the five healthiest foods, and are a go-to staple in my kitchen. There are a number of lentil varieties, and I usually have two or three on hand. Green, red, and brown lentils all have their place in my pantry, and in the past two days, I've made two lentil dishes with two varieties of the hearty legumes. Last night, we had dhal, an Indian curried brown lentil, with summer squash and rice. For lunch today, I made a quick Greek-style red lentil soup with mint and oregano with fat free plain yogurt stirred in at the end. Delicious, and ready in 30 minutes.

***
Greek-style Red Lentil Soup
serves 8
1 T. olive oil
1 diced onion
1 diced carrot
1 diced celery stalk
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 lb. red lentils, rinsed
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 1/2 t. dried mint
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 t. paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the veggies and garlic in 1 T olive oil in a Dutch oven or stockpot. Add the lentils to the pot and stir for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Remove the bay leaf and puree with a stick blender. Serve with a dollop of fat free plain yogurt.

I've had no luck finding local sources for the lentil, and if anyone knows of California lentil growers, please let me know! I'm currently purchasing organic lentils in the bulk bins at Country Sun, but they're not grown locally. Beans, legumes, and grains have been the hardest part of my diet to find locally grown, but I'm making headway.

Phipps Country Store in Pescadero grows some of their own heirloom beans (and has a U-Pick berry farm) and a field trip to the coast is in the works, both for beans and berries, which I intend to can and freeze.

Rancho Gordo in Napa also grows heirloom dry beans, as well as corn, masa, and chilis. They're available at the Ferry Plaza farmer's market in San Francisco and a storefront in Napa, and are served at a number of really wonderful restaurants all over the Bay Area and beyond.

Wheat and wheatberries are available from Full Belly Farm, where I get my CSA box of wonderful produce each week. Lundberg Family Farms sustainably grows brown rice (I buy it in bulk at Country Sun.)

I'm still looking for locally, organically grown:
bulgur
oatmeal, especially steel cut oats
quinoa (I don't think I'll find this locally, but a girl can dream!)
whole wheat pasta and couscous
cornmeal

The photo comes from the Wikipedia entry for lentils.)

No comments: