Saturday, August 11, 2007

12 week progress report

I've now been on program for 12 weeks. I've tried Weight Watchers a dozen or more times, lost 15-20 lb., and then quit and gained that back plus more. This is the longest I've ever stuck to the program and also the most weight I've ever lost, and I'm continuing to feel motivated and on track. This time is different: cutting out the junk food, the processed, chemical, fake stuff, and caring for the first time about where the food comes from has made such a difference not only in my weight loss but in how I am looking at food altogether.

In the past twelve weeks, I've lost:
26 pounds
32.5 inches
30 points on my cholesterol
two pant sizes (from 28 to 24) and two shirt sizes (from 26 to 22)


In its place, I've gained:
endurance!
the ability to climb a flight of stairs without getting winded, walk a mile without taking a break, and finish the 55 minute FIRM exercise DVD (whew, that last one was tough)
a passion for dried beans and whole grains

I'm feeling so motivated to continue, and am thrilled with my progress so far. This is just the beginning!

***

I went to the farmer's market this morning and picked up my CSA box from Full Belly Farm. In it this week:

Basil
Bi Color Corn
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Canary Melon
Cantaloupe Melon
Onion
Heirloom tomato

At the market, I also bought the longest celery I've ever seen, a head of cauliflower, green onions, silken tofu, a variety of colorful peppers and a jar of local smoked paprika, and a small ham. I spent $35 today toward this week's food. Yesterday I went to the grocery outlet and spent $18, mostly stocking up on local (Sebastapol), organic applesauce on sale for $1.50 a jar. I also hit Costco for Gardenburgers (not local, but they're easy for Jax and he loves them,) local, organic carrots, local mushrooms, and olive oil (not local, but organic.) I spent under $35. This week's food expense is up to $88.00. I'll need more milk and eggs later in the week, and will probably pick up some picnic fixings on our trip to Napa, so it will probably hit the weekly budgetted amount at that point.

***

Daily Menu

Breakfast
Baked oatmeal
2 c. milk

Lunch
Melon Chicken Salad (2 Points for the dressing, no walnuts)

Dinner
Grilled pork with balsamic reduction (from TLC Ranch)
Roasted eggplant and cauliflower with 1 t. oil (from Full Belly Farm and Green Oaks Creek Farm and Retreat
Tomatoes with salt and pepper (from Full Belly Farm)
Wheatberries with 1 t. olive oil and lemon (from Full Belly Farm)

Dessert
4 oatmeal cookies (12 Points)
milk

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 14
WPA points available: 30
Activity points today: 9 (5 for walking at a leisurely pace for 70 minutes; 4 for 1/2 of The Firm Aerobic Body Shaping - and I'm still sore from Thursday!)
Activity points this week: 13

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5+
2. Whole grains - oatmeal, brown rice
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes (chicken, pork)
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

No comments: