Sunday, August 5, 2007

Daily Menu for August 5

I got a call last night from Pietro, my fishmonger, to let me know that a salmon was in and I could pick it up this morning. Hooray! I picked up the 7.5 lb. salmon, gutted but still with head, tail, fins and such, and it is ready for dismemberment in my fridge. I'm going to cut it into fillets and vacuum seal those for later in the year when fresh salmon isn't available. The head and bones will be saved for fish stock, except for the cheeks, a delicacy, which will be eaten on their own!

I spent $55 on salmon, and picked up a few more veggies for an additional $7.25. That brings my food expenditure up to $135.82 this week, or $315.82 including the grain CSA. This is a heavy week on food expenses, but the next few months will be lighter because of it. Everything evens out in the end.

***

Daily Menu
EDITED for accuracy!

Breakfast
2 slices California Style whole grain toast from Alvarado Street Bakery (2 Points)
1 t. butter from Spring Hill Cheese (1 Point)

Lunch
2 Soul Food Farm eggs
about a cup of zucchini from the neighbor
1 slice toast with 1/2 t. butter (1.5 Points)

Dinner
Grilled stuffed pasilla peppers (stuffed with fresh corn, zucchini, black beans, and grilled tomatoes) - The peppers are from the Menlo Park farmer's market, black beans from Phipps, and the corn and tomatoes are from Full Belly Farm
1 T. sharp cheddar from Spring Hill Cheese (1.5 Points)
Corn on the cob, plain
2 c. milk
bulgur

Snack
pita chips - 12 points OUCH! I don't normally snack, but I picked up a bag of pita chips after craving crunchy chips for a few days and thinking pita would be healthier. It was 12 points for the bag, which I polished off in one sitting. Yikes! Good thing I earned Activity points, but I can't make that a habit.

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 18 (not worth it!! Stupid pita chips...)
WPA points available: 20
Activity points today: 6 (The Firm video - ouch!)
Activity points this week: 9

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5+
2. Whole grains - whole grain bread, bulgur
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes (eggs, beans)
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

2 comments:

Katherine Gray said...

Hello! Just found your blog and hope you keep posting recipes. That's my big challenge!

Congrats on your weight loss efforts. You're on your way!

Momaste said...

Thanks for the comments! I'll be sure to add more recipes as I come upon good ones. :)