Thursday, June 21, 2007

CORE on a budget

Inspired by the Washington Post article, "How Far can your Dollar Stretch" by Sally Squires I'm challenging myself to feed my family this week on the USDA's Thrifty Plan for Food at Home. The USDA has four budgets for food at home, and the Thrifty Plan is the lowest of these budgets; it is also the amount that food stamps are based on. My family'd budget is $91.95 a week (based on two adults and one toddler for the chart from May, most recent available.) I'm still committed to locally grown, organic foods and I'm doing it with a dollar figure in mind. I've been averaging $100 a week since starting Weight Watchers, so this dollar figure isn't such a stretch. My goal here is to show that eating well doesn't have to cost a fortune. Most of us can eat a variety of delicious, filling, organic whole foods and not break the bank.

My family is very fortunate, let me say right up front. We are not on food stamps, and our income adequately covers our expenses (although with a self-employed dad and stay-at-home-mom, some months are tighter than others!) We have access to local, organic foods at a reasonable price, reasonably close to our home. For many, this is a luxury that simply isn't available.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet while receiving food stamps or living on a minimal food budget is understandably difficult. None of my vendors accept food stamps - not the Farmer's Market (although some Farmer's Markets are now accepting food stamps, a wonderful step in the right direction), not the rancher from whom I bought our split quarter of pastured beef, not my local natural foods store, etc.

I have the advantage of time: time to research food choices, make meal plans, and cook from scratch so very, very little of our food is prepared/processed. I am gaining an education in healthy food choices, which has changed how I shop. My family doesn't grumble too much at the many inexpensive vegetarian meals that are served. I also have a vehicle so I am able to shop at a variety of sources. Lacking any of these can make a significant difference for someone struggling to get by. It can be done, but with obstacles.

This week's menu includes:
Muesli and Shredded wheat with fruit for breakfasts
Egg salad and leftovers for lunches
Lentil tacos with Mexican coleslaw
Huevos Rancheros on brown rice with green beans
Salmon cakes with couscous and beets
Tofu stirfry with wheatberries
Crockpot chili and baked potato
Chana masala (Indian curried garbanzo beans) with bulgur and zucchini
Chicken and rice with carrots

Today I did most of the shopping for the week, everything but the CSA box, a few extra veggies, and eggs from the farmer's market on Saturday. Everything is organic and bought at a local natural foods store that isn't known for being inexpensive, but carries many local brands. If I really needed to stretch a dollar, I would have to shop elsewhere. Here's what I bought:

2 qts. fat free plain yogurt - $6.99 (not local - the Strauss yogurt I normally buy was out of stock, so I bought a different variety this week)
1 pt. whole plain yogurt - $2.79 (for Jax; local)
1 gallon fat free milk - $5.99 (local)
1 gallon whole milk - $5.99 (for Jax; local)
1 lb. tofu - $2.19 (local)
Canola oil - $8.99 (not local)
Jar of ginger - $2.19 (not local)
24 oz. Applesauce - $2.99 (local)
1/4 lb. oat bran - $.38 (not local)
Shredded Wheat - $5.39 (M's request; local producer)
$43.89

From Webb Ranch Farm Produce Stand:
2 peaches, 3 HUGE beets, a half-pint of raspberries, and 1 lb. cherries - $8.35

My CSA box costs $14.50 per week, paid in advance, and includes:
apricots (again!)
green beans
cabbage
carrots
white corn
potatoes
squash

I still need eggs ($2.50), bell peppers, jalapenos, and oranges (about $8) from the farmer's market. If I include the cost of foods I have on hand in the pantry or freezer and plan to use this week, I'm right about at budget - 1 lb. ground beef $5, 1/3 a chicken $3, and 6 oz. salmon $3.75, corn tortillas $.99, plus a bunch of beans and grains, probably under $4. I'm not including the spices and condiments on hand.

That puts my total for a week of groceries at $93.98, including meats and grains on hand, or $77.24 spent on food this week.

No comments: