Monday, June 25, 2007

Losing the taste for junk food, and other notes for Core newbies; Salmon Cake recipe; Daily Menu

I'm into my fourth week of CORE and I've avoided eating out most of the time on CORE, staying as close to CORE as possible on the occasions that I have gone out to eat. I haven't had any desserts since starting CORE except fruit (yum!) but last night I was really wanting something sweet. DH and I went to a restaurant that has desserts I used to love. USED to love. I used to eat the whole thing myself. I had a light CORE dinner at home in anticipation of dessert.

I ordered the dessert I'd been thinking about, planning on eating half and letting DH eat the rest (WPA's and planning in action!) I took two bites and it was just too sweet to eat even half. I gave the rest to DH and he took most of it home with him. It was just too sweet for both of us!

Similarly, I've been skipping sweetener in my iced tea and coffee and not missing it one bit. Fruit is enough to sweeten my plain yogurt. Is this for real? The more whole foods I eat, the less appealing the junk foods are getting. I blame this squarely on CORE and I like it! I posted about this on the Core message board of healthdiscovery.net and I'm not alone; seems that all these wholesome foods really do lessen the desire for junk food, and make it less appealing if you do eat it. (I did eat half of a grilled cheese sandwich, for which I'll count the points, and I'm counting the points for the few bites of cheesecake as well.)

So you're thinking, this CORE plan sounds good (or, I want to eat more whole foods without any specific diet plan.) What are the tips for getting started?

Plan a weekly menu, including breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. This has made a huge difference for me. It's very helpful for grocery shopping, too, since you'll have a list of what you need for your CORE meals and won't need to even venture down the candy aisle at the grocery store.

Also, read this thread on the healthdiscovery.net message boards for ways to figure out your satisfaction point. The sigh has REALLY worked for me. Smaller plates are a big help, too (I use lunch sized 9" plates and 1 cup ice cream bowls for everything) and I stop after half the meal to reevaluate my hunger. I'm never cleaning my plate these days, after lifetime membership in the Clean Plate club - I'm just satisfied before then and don't feel like I'm going to be deprived if I leave those last few bites. I'm serving myself smaller portions to start at this point, knowing that my hunger level is never as big as my eyes.

Be daring! Try new whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes. Many of us discovered bulgur and quinoa post-Core-conversion and they're now in regular rotation in our menu plans. Read the 5 Core Recipes I Couldn't Live Without thread. Try the Summer Muesli for a go-to breakfast that's easy to make ahead and very satisfying.

Be willing to ask for something that isn't on the menu at restaurants. I've been saying that I have dietary restrictions, and can the waiter please help me find something that meets my needs? I've had positive responses every time when I frame it in a positive manner and offer plenty of thank you's. (I order both CORE and vegetarian, as I only eat organic, pastured meat and can't know where restaurant meat comes from; vegetarian CORE is a bit harder for eating out than CORE meat eating.) You just have to be willing to not order the calorie-laden double bacon cheeseburger with chili fries and find satisfaction in your garden burger, no bun, double veggies, steamed without oil, and green salad, no cheese, no croutons, dressing on the side (but you can add avocado if they have it!) Trust me, it won't be long before that sounds like a good meal out. :)

Find a supportive community. Tell your family and friends about how you're changing your lifestyle and ask for their support (this is a full lifestyle change, not a short term diet.) I've been surprised by the positive response from my family and friends. I have gotten a lot of great ideas and advice from the healthdiscovery.net message board, and venture onto the Weight Watchers message boards from time to time as well.

Read my blog! :)

***

I found this salmon cake recipe when searching the web for a recipe without breadcrumbs, which aren't CORE. This one, posted on allrecipes.com, fit the bill and was very tasty to boot. This recipe has been tried and been given the thumbs up by me, Mr.M and Jax.

Moroccan Salmon Cakes with Garlic Mayonnaise
Serves 4 (2 cakes each)

INGREDIENTS
GARLIC MAYONNAISE:
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used plain fat free yogurt instead)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon paprika

SALMON CAKES:
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
2/3 cup orange juice (not CORE, but a small enough portion that it adds 0 Points per serving)
1 (14.75 ounce) can red salmon, drained (I am using frozen, cooked salmon)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach - thawed, drained and squeezed dry (I am using fresh sauteed swiss chard instead)
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil (count toward your healthy oil servings for the day)

DIRECTIONS
In a small stainless steel or glass bowl, stir together mayonnaise, garlic, and paprika. Set aside.

Prepare couscous according to package directions using the 2/3 cup of orange juice in place of water.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked couscous, red salmon, drained spinach, egg yolks, garlic, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Form into 8 patties. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and fry patties until golden brown turning once, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with garlic mayonnaise.


***

Except for the cherries and beets, today's produce is all from the CSA box from Full Belly Farm. The cherries and beets come from our venture up to Webb Ranch) and the salmon is from our Memorial Day whole salmon purchased from F/V Anne B, caught in Point Reyes, purchased at the Menlo Park farmer's market. The frozen leftovers have been great, and this recipe is particularly tasty.

Daily Menu

Breakfast
Summer Muesli

Lunch
Egg salad in tomato shells (Eggs from Glaum Egg Ranch
Mexican cole slaw
Fat free milk


Dinner

Salmon cakes
Couscous
Beets and green beans

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today:
WPA points available: 27.5
Activity points today: 4
Activity points this week: 10

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 6
2. Whole grains - oatmeal, whole wheat couscous
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

1 comment:

Duddes02 said...

Thanks for the salmon cake recipe!