Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Meals are planned, but I am not eating enough

I have planned out menus every day to include the 8 healthy guidelines, but when I'm truly waiting to be hungry and stopping when satisfied, not too full, then I'm not eating it all. In fact, I'm struggling to eat half of my plate of food at most meals. This is not something I've EVER worried about or had happened.

I have been babysitting for the past two days and will babysit again tomorrow and Thursday, so my meals have been made and packed to take with me in one serving sizes. Today I planned to have Summer muesli for breakfast, tofu and brown rice stirfry with veggies for lunch, and egg curry with tomatoes and onions, cucumbers, and couscous for dinner. I couldn't eat all of the summer muesli and probably had about half a serving - I made it into a smoothie at the end so I could carry it around and sip on it, because I just wasn't getting through it and had to move on with the day. I had probably four bites of the stirfry at lunch. I ate a small bowl (maybe a cup total) of egg curry and couscous, but didn't need the cucumbers. I didn't get in the 8 healthy guidelines by a long shot, but I wasn't very hungry.

I did drink all 8 glasses of water (it was warm today and I was active) and had my multivitamin. I probably got two oils between the flaxseed in the breakfast, canola in stirfry, and olive oil with curry. I was heavy on the oil in the curry because I knew I hadn't eaten much today. I did have whole grains, but not much of them, in each meal. I had veggies, but unlikely 5 servings. There was protein in each meal. I didn't get both servings of dairy, but I'm going to have a glass of milk before bed to try to get that in.

It's 10 pm and I'm just not hungry. This is the third day in a row that I've been very active and just not very hungry. Is this normal? Does my body really need so little, or am I shooting myself in the foot by not eating at least the minimums?

1 comment:

kbeeps said...

Last time I followed the Core plan, I found that, as my body got accustomed to eating more "bulky" foods, I stayed fuller longer and didn't eat as much at each meal. I also find, as a general rule, that when I'm the most active I eat the least. Weird, but that seems to be the way my body works.

If you're worried about the 8hgs, could you try frontloading them in the beginning of your day (breakfast, snack and lunch) and getting them out of the way so if you're not hungry later you're not as worried about them?

It really does sound like, overall, you're doing great!