Monday, June 4, 2007

The Locavore on Core

Welcome to my blog! I'm starting this blog to document my weight loss journey using the Weight Watchers program Core, and eating locally and sustainably grown whole foods.

What is a Locavore?
A locavore is a person making a conscious effort to eat foods grown or harvested within their local foodsehd, generally about 100 miles. I've extended this to 200 miles, because our weekly CSA (community supported agriculture) box of vegetables comes from a farm 125 miles from me, and the only local brown rice I've found is 185 miles away. I'm very fortunate to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where a variety of locally grown and produced foods are plentiful year round.

I will readily admit that our food isn't 100% local; some staples just aren't locally produced, like coffee, bananas, chocolate, sugar, spices, and some condiments, like soy sauce. I'm on the lookout for local grains and legumes and if you know of any, please let me know! All of our produce, meat, and dairy is all locally, sustainably farmed, and those products that aren't local are fair trade and organic as much as possible.

10 Reasons to Eat Local

What is Core?
Core is one of two Weight Watchers programs, wherein I can eat as many foods on an approved list as I need to be satisfied (including fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fat free dairy, healthy oils and lean meats), and count Points for foods outside the list. I have 35 Points per week, plus any Points I earn through exercise. A Point is generally between 25 and 100 calories, depending on the fat and fiber.

I attend meetings and weigh in on Saturday mornings, just before hitting the farmer's market.

Who am I?
I'm 28 years old, wife to M., who is losing weight along with me, and a stay at home mom to toddler son Jax.

Starting weight: 311.6 on 5/21/07
Current weight: 309.4 on 6/4/07

Goals
I intend to meet the following goals, losing a reasonable 1.85 lbs. per week.
10% (31 lbs.) by 9/23/07
Under 200 lbs. by 7/20/08
Goal weight of 155 lbs. by 1/1/09

2 comments:

kbeeps said...

Love your blog! I'm starting back on Core on Monday. I did it for a while when it first came out and lost about 20 pounds. Then I took a break for the holidays and never started up again (note to self - no breaks, LOL!).

Love the idea of blogging your daily menu plans. What a great way to stay organized!

Question about your summer muesli - is that cooked? Raw and mixed together right before eating? Raw and mixed together ahead of time so the oats have time to soak up some moisture?

Momaste said...

Raw and mixed together ahead of time to soak up the moisture. I used steel cut oats and prepared it the night before, and in the morning they were chewy and very yummy.

Thanks for visiting!