Sunday, June 17, 2007

Daily Menu for June 17

Today was a busy day and I didn't get a chance to check in with my menu until now, but I was on track all day, counting Points for the non-CORE foods and enjoying every bite.

I hit the Mountain View Farmer's Market first thing this morning since I didn't have much time at the Palo Alto market before our beef expedition yesterday. How fortunate that there are so many wonderful outdoor venues for fresh, local vegetables in our area! I picked up raspberries, peaches, oranges, and the first tomatoes of the season (lunch tomorrow!). I also hit up the booth with Indian food by Sukhi's for a tasty brunch for the family. Last week I bought Tomato Chutney, which was a tasty treat at 0 Points per serving. This week, a curry will be made for dinner with one of their spice mixes and fat free yogurt.

The Mountain View market is right next to the Caltrain station and as we pulled up, a train went by, spurring Jax to call out "Choo Choo!" for the duration of our visit. He's also a fan of the samples - everywhere you turn, sweet, juicy fruit is sliced up and handed out, and he was thrilled to be a taste tester for peaches, cherries, raspberries, and nectarines.

What I forgot to buy: eggs, which we've been eating more and more of lately. Between the egg curry that we've eaten once a week for the past two weeks, hard boiled eggs that Jax enjoys as snacks, and the occasional scrambled egg breakfast, we're going though a dozen early in the week, and I probably could buy more and still use them up quickly. Usually bought at the Palo Alto or Menlo Park markets, I didn't see any at Mountain View and it was too late to get to Menlo Park before they closed. I'll have to pick some up at Country Sun when I get over there for more yogurt, which I'm also going through like crazy these days in my Summer Muesli (yogurt, oatmeal, vanilla and almond extracts, cinnamon, and fruit), a hearty breakfast that keeps me satisfied all morning.


After the farmer's market and lunch, we headed up to my parents' house for Father's Day with my dad, M and Jax, my brother and his son, and much ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the barbecue - male bonding over beef appreciation. My parents bought some of the beef as well and we had our first taste of the steaks. My dad and M each had a Porterhouse, and the rest of us had Sirloin. We learned that the grassfed meat, without the marbling that usually accompanies its cornfed cousin, is very lean, without the usual drippy-fat flare ups, needed more time to cook and had less juice left on the platter. The end result was worth it, though; we all agreed that the meat was very flavorful.

The two little boys played in the kiddie pool for much of the afternoon, enjoying the sunshine and a family of admiring onlookers as they splashed and slid around in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and Bob the Builder underpants. (Swimsuits were left at home; we made do with what was on hand!) They then wore themselves out running the loop around the hallway and dining room, chasing each other and laughing for well over an hour of loopy fun. Fun with cousins!

Overall, it has been a busy, productive, happy weekend, and I'm ready to hit the sack, hopeful that Jax will sleep in after his own long, busy, happy day!

Daily Menu

Brunch
From the Mountain View Farmer's Market:
2 papadums heated over the flame of the gas grill - these are like very thin lentil-based tortillas with cumin seeds in them, and they get bubbly and crispy over the flame - yummy! (0 Points)
Channa Masala (all CORE ingredients)
Fire roasted eggplant spread (all CORE ingredients)
leftover quinoa salad
raspberries

Dinner
Grilled Sirloin steak from Chileno Valley Ranch - very tasty!
Corn on the cob from my mom's farmer's market
Green beans and mushrooms, also from my mom's farmer's market, picked out by my 3 year old nephew who planted one in the backyard to see if it grows into a magic beanstalk like the one in the story (how cute is that?)
1/2 whole wheat roll with 1/2 t. butter (1.5 Points)
Salad with tomato, cucumber, and 1 T. regular dressing (2)
Watermelon
Mom-made Lemon Bar (3)

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 6.5
WPA points available: 26
Activity points today: 0
Activity points this week: 4

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5
2. Whole grains - quinoa
3. Milk - Not today
4. Healthy oil - one
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe that I stumbled on your blog last night (through the WW message boards maybe?) and as I was reading and identifying with much of what you write, I realized from your farmer's market references that we live in the same neck of the woods - (SF Bay Area!)and share many of the same vendors - I am in Marin.

I had no idea that Full Belly had a CSA - now I have to sign up, since the local farmers market (and CSA delivery is SO close!) -- Thank you!

I also just finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's new book -- very inspiring - a definate must read for anyone who is concerned about the impact of their food choices (even if they can't grow it all themselves!)

I too am on a Core journey - it is nice to know that there are others out there who are inspired to eat locally and healthy too!

Keep up the good work!!

Momaste said...

Sarah, I was just in Marin Saturday! You likely found me through the WW message board. :) Thanks for checking out my blog! I'm digging the CSA and I'm sure you'll love it.