Thursday, June 21, 2007

Couch to 5k and Daily Menu for June 21

I've never been a runner. The idea of running for pleasure, not just to avoid certain and imminent danger, has always struck me as rather ridiculous. Why run when I could watch TV? Of course, my body has not benefitted from my couch potato status, and in the effort to make my body that lean, healthy creature I know it can be (and be able to run from certain and imminent danger should the need arise), I'm going running.


I've been doing a Walk Away the Pounds 30 minute/2 mile video in my livingroom most days, and it was hard at first. I couldn't even get through the 1 mile video without huffing and puffing and sitting right back on the sofa when I started. Now, I can get through 2 miles with a moderate sweat, breathing heavy but not huffing and puffing. I can do the 45 minute/3 mile version all the way through. I've been adding intensity by carrying Jax (a wiggly 26 lb. intensity builder if ever there was one!) but I think I need to add to my fitness program and it will be nice to exercise outside.

I recently heard about the Couch to 5k created by Cool Running, a program designed with the couch potato in mind, whose goal is to bring you (or me) from the couch to a 30 minute 5k in just nine weeks. Add the podcast created by Robert Ullrey to accompany the program and keep up with the changing paces, and it just couldn't be spelled out any easier. So I downloaded the podcast and I'm *gulp* running.

***
I did very well at dinner last night. I had halibut, cooked without oil and with no butter, served with whole avocado, beans, and pico de gallo. I ate one tortilla and 12 tortilla chips, 6 points there, and I'm sure the beans had a few points for oil or other ingredients. Overall, though, I stayed on plan, ate to satisfaction, and enjoyed the meal.

It's time to grocery shop, but I'm holding out until Saturday and using up what is in the fridge. Since I haven't bought anything new, I'm going to let you look back to days earlier in the week for sources.

Daily Menu

Breakfast
Peach
2 c. milk

Lunch
Tofu curry with green beans and brown rice (I made a lot of this, as you can tell by my menus the past few days finishing it up; next time, I'll have to cut the recipe in half!)

Dinner
Baked lentils
Bulgur
Carrots
Green salad with olive oil vinaigrette


WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 0
WPA points available: 0
Activity points today: 4
Activity points this week: 12

Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5
2. Whole grains - brown rice, bulgur
3. Milk - yes
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

No comments: