Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Daily Menu for June 5

I plan on posting my daily menu every day. When I plan ahead, I am MUCH better about staying on program. Plus, I love reading other peoples' menus to get ideas, so hopefully this will be helpful for someone else!

All of today's produce is from my CSA box from Full Belly Farm. I made a nut-free pesto to put on the eggs for breakfast with the fresh basil, a few cloves of garlic, and some olive oil. Yum! The beet greens are for lunch, and the beets will be featured in a meal later in the week, probably with carrots and dill.

I bought a whole fresh salmon last week for our Memorial Day barbecue. There is a great fishmonger at the farmer's market, and the salmon I bought was caught the day before in Point Reyes. It was so moist and flavorful, and I was informed that the cheeks are a delicacy so I even ate the cheeks! (They were also moist and delicious.) We grilled the salmon whole and I froze the leftovers in meal-sized portions, one of which was used last night to make salmon cakes with spinach and whole wheat couscous in them. I'll definitely make this recipe again.

Breakfast
2 eggs with basil, garlic, and olive oil
strawberries
fat free milk

Snack
bell pepper with homemade hummus (no tahini)

Lunch
Salmon cake
beet greens sauteed in olive oil
fat free milk

Dinner
Turkey chili
bulgur
zucchini


WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 0
WPA points available: 27
Activity points today: 4
Activity points this week: 8
Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 6
2. Whole grains - whole wheat couscous in salmon cake for lunch, bulgur for dinner
3. Milk - 2
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

4 comments:

MommaCarbzilla said...

Hidy Ho there fellow Corbie! Just thought I'd let you know that I LOVE your links!

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogger!

Steffie
www.trainingmrright.blogspot.com

Momaste said...

Thanks! I'm happy to share the love of good food. :)

morahamy said...

I'm a little envious of your CSA, which seems a lot more affordable and flexible than the one we used to belong to. (Delivery?! Weekly payments!? Wow!) I miss the community feeling of being a member (and the pick your own that came with the share), but in the end prefer the flexibility of the farmer's market, especially in a house full of people who won't touch a beet or any greens besides spinach (other than me. of course!).

Amy from the core board

Momaste said...

Amy, I pick up the CSA box at the farmer's market, so I can supplement with anything at the market. This week, I added artichokes and strawberries from other vendors. But my family isn't too picky, which helps. I love the CSA!