Friday, June 8, 2007

Daily Menu for June 8

Last night's egg curry was a success. I caramelized the onions before adding the rest of the ingredients (adding 1 T. brown sugar between 6 servings, so no additional Points per serving), giving the sauce a nice sweetness. The tomato sauce is thick and mixed in with the bulgur nicely, giving a chewy, sweet, slightly spicy combination that is very satisfying. The egg is a nice contrast in texture, and the yolk crumbles into the sauce and bulgur for a bit of extra richness. Overall, a very tasty, healthy meal that is also fast and easy.

Jax (20 months old) ate 2 1/2 eggs (I could only eat one - these are the giant farmer's market eggs, another of which had two yolks) along with the bulgur, sauce, and swiss chard. For a boy who has been getting pickier and eating less with each passing day, this was a real achievement. Although I made enough to have lunch leftovers, expecting an egg per person to fill everyone up, Jax and Matt polished it all off!


It's already 11 am and I'm just starting to get hungry, so it will be brunch today instead of breakfast. It's also the day before the farmer's market, so I'm finishing up last week's veggies and am out of fruit and eggs. Bah.

Tonight's tilapia isn't local; it's been frozen in my freezer for a few months and needed to be used up so it doesn't go bad. All of the produce is from my CSA box, and the cheese is from the Palo Alto farmer's market. It is a fantastic sharp smoked cheddar, full fat but worth it for the deep flavor. I'm counting the points for it. (I'm also out of milk after my 1 c. with breakfast, so I had to add in another milk serving, and cheese is what I have in the house.)

Brunch
1 medium potato
1/2 onion
1 t. olive oil
1 1/2 oz. cheddar cheese (4.5 PTS)
1 c. milk

Snack
carrots

Dinner
tilapia
whole wheat couscous
artichoke with olive oil vinaigrette
beets

WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) points used today: 4.5
WPA points available: 13.5
Activity points today: 4
Activity points this week: 12 (I didn't end up exercising yesterday)
Daily 8 - the 8 Healthy Guidelines
1. Fruits and veggies - 5
2. Whole grains - whole wheat couscous
3. Milk - 2
4. Healthy oil - yes
5. Protein - yes
6. Limit sugar and alcohol - yes
7. Water - 8+
8. Multivitamin - yes

No comments: